Monday 28 May 2012

I felt my shoes melting at one point.

And no, that is not Dutch.
This week.  Gee, a lot happened this week.  So you know how I was saying that last week was such a stinker of a week?  Well dang, this week certainly wasn't.  We had 3 new investigators this week!  How cool is that?  I wasn't there for two of them.  I was on splits at the time with the District Leader.  But the third person we found was a bit more interesting.
So to start off (and to deviate a bit), my bike had a total of 3 holes in the rear tire this week.  Yep.  A hole a day, for three days in a row.  Believe me, it was as awesome as it sounds.  My rear buitenband, or...outer...tire(?) was really worn out and so naturally ended up scratching my inner tire a whole bunch.  Faithful, I tried simply fixing him up, but that didn't work so well.  That tire was pretty worn out......and so as we were riding to an appointment, my tire kept sinking lower and lower.  Eventually, I decided to ask somebody if I could borrow their fietspump (bike pump).  The guy gladly agreed and in no time the tire was filled again.  Then, when it was all done, we sneakily happened to mention that we were missionaries, sharing the good news.  Wham, turns out the guy was super interested.  We had an appointment with him a couple days later and he's was very excited to meet with us and attend church!  Coincidence?  Yeah...maybe.  Still pretty cool though.  His name is Sheka Kamaro and he's from Sierra Leon (speaks English).  Guy is built thick too.  You should see his biceps!  
My tire is all fixed now.  Had to replace the outer wheel.  Proud (...but humble) I was able to.
Things are going great with Isa too!  She set a date for July 14th (somewhere around her birthday).  The big question when we tell people seems to be "and what about her parents?"  Isa isn't worry about that anymore now though.  She said something like, what's the worse that could happen?".  I'm so excited for her!  
At the back of my mind though, I'm worry I'll be transferred yet again, before I see another investigator baptized.  ...But that's not important, right?
Ardette we haven't seen in a while...  I hope she's doing alright.  We have to call her.
Also, we had an appointment with a man named Raychel.  It was...not terribly exciting, to tell the truth.  It was just Harry and I (Elder Kunz was on splits with our District Leader because Elder Taylor was gone for legality reasons).  Raychel is from...Curisao?  He's got a wife and 3 children, but he himself is a bit slow.  He didn't have much to say.  His main question was why there are so many churches, but after that was answered, input dropped to pretty much to 0.  Still, he was willing to read in the Book of Mormon and we have a return appointment.  His wife seems a bit more lively, I hope she will be there next time.  What is extra cool is that the entire appointment was in Dutch.  I think I did pretty well.  Cool, eh?
Ooo.  So we had an dinner appointment, and afterwards we decided to knock on a few doors--to see what happens.  An older fellow opens the door and squints at us.  We tell him who we are--while he takes a drag on a joint--and he promptly replies "oh ja, kom maar binnen."  Uh...  Okay.  So it was super interesting.  Guy just started rambling, taking the occasional puff from his doobie, saying something about Jehovah's Witnesses, cops and the neighbours.  Yeah, didn't catch much of it.  He had no teeth and slurred everything he said.  We made an appointment for following Saturday and got out of there pretty fast.  I'm curious as to what will happen. 
This probably should have been at the beginning of this letter, but HOT DANG, it has it been boiling out.  It's been somewhere in the upper twenties--pushing 30--for a good portion of the week.  I swear I felt my shoes melting at one point.  I can't imagine being somewhere warm all year round...  like.....Florida?  Whoops.  Ha.
Man did it rain one day.  Gee whiz.  We left a member's house and it was beginning to spit.  Then WHAM!!  RAIN!!  I'm talking take two steps out of cover and you're already soaked kind of rain.  My entire backpack (and almost everything in it) was soaked.  All my pass-along cards...my two Book of Mormons that I carry.  Psh, gone.  Luckily, one area stayed pretty dry.  It had my origami paper and camera--both perfectly fine.  Hot diggety, it rained like that for pretty much evers.
Ah!  And my allergies.  I don't think my allergies have ever been worse.  I sneeze a lot, my eyes are itchy and all runny.  My nose pours like a.......something that pours a lot.  Gosh.  I've tried those pills I have, I've tried nose-squirt-juice-stuff.  Ooo.  I hope it doesn't get worse.  They've got those horrendous cotton trees on the way to church.  It's like it's snowing when you ride through those.
Buuut yep.  I think that's just abo--
WHAT IS YOUR WORLD-FAMOUS PANCAKE MIX?  I've wanted to know for about a zillion years, but I keep forgetting.  Tell me.  Also, we've got a waffle iron.
Anyway, peace OUT kerels
tot volgende keer,
Elder Burgess
And we're making Harry dinner tonight.  We did last week too.  Who knows, maybe this will be a new Eindhoven traditie.  Maak dine voor Harry.
Harry is awesome.
We had butter chicken last week.  Lovingly donated by you.

No comments:

Post a Comment